Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Good Stuff

Can you believe we went camping last weekend and didn't take a single photo? The kids did great, but definitely kept us hopping. I won't get started on our obnoxious camp neighbors. I'm trying hard to forget about them, but there are a few things I do always want to remember from this trip....
* The way Sarah shouted "Yeee-Haawww" out of nowhere, and used the phrase throughout the weekend at entertaining times. Climbing into her sleeping bag? Yee-haw! Sitting down to pancakes? Yee-haw! Peeing in the outhouse? Yee-haw!
* Matt had the kids in giggles and Sarah was doubled over laughing. She pointed at Matt and said "funny guy....you....".
* Liam and I let an overtired Sarah and a jetlagged Matt take an afternoon nap, and we headed to the open field to play. Liam was running all over the place "be-tendin' to be Luongo" when all of a sudden he spotted a little patch of daisies growing in the grass. His focus immediately shifted to picking as many as he could carry, then he came running full speed back to me, huge smile on his face, ran right into my arms and said "I picked these for you, Mommy!" Ah, love.
* The first morning Sarah woke me up with a big sloppy kiss on the lips and an enthusiastic "Hi, Mommy!" At 5:40am. Just a little too early, but so adorable I had to snuggle her into my sleeping bag for some cuddles. And then Matt got up with her. Ah, love.
* Liam spent a looooong time tapping a hammer on an old tree stump that was behind the tent, pretending he was Handy Manny. He named all his tools and I could hear him softly singing snippets of the Handy Manny song...."twist and turn, make it tight!"
* Making s'mores and singing "This Old Man" around the campfire. I love the way Sarah focuses on the last word of every sentence. If Sarah were to sing it herself, it would go like this: "Man! One! Drum! Bone! Home!"
No camping pictures (what were we thinking?!) but here's one of the kids making a new friend at Granville Island yesterday......

No comments: