Thursday, April 8, 2010

So Long, SuSu


By day, he's a Big Boy: potty trained, puts on his own shoes, and can tell us about events that happened months ago with startling clarity and an impressive vocabulary. But by night, he's still my baby: diapers, crib (he doesn't want to give it up just yet) and a soother (or susu, as it's called around here). To be honest, I hadn't thought about it much, but I kind of like it that way.
Last night he got all ready for bed, but when it came time to clip that susu on to his jammies we discovered some threatening cracks in it. We had always known (and so had he) that this was his very last susu. No replacements. But it was still an unpleasant shock to Liam and the panic began right away. Wailing, screaming, and some huge tears were finally staved off with a few rounds of "knick-knack-paddy-wack" (quick thinking, Matt!) and then he was tucked into bed with his army of plush friends. 5 minutes went by. Then 10. So far, so good. And then.....the hysterics began. After a few short trips into the room for reassurance, I went back in for a real cuddle. We sat on his little couch and talked for a long while. He tried so hard to be brave and he talked about all kinds of things that are important to him: his puppy, swimming, Dad playing hockey, garbage trucks, granola, and then, his voice wavering....."Mama, I just feel like cryin'!" And so did I. We both cried a few tears about little boys having to grow up. And when it was finally time to say goodnight, he blew me some kisses, said "I love you Mama!" and went off to sleep. All night. I don't expect that we're out of the woods just yet, but it was a big step....for a little boy.

1 comment:

nemrac said...

That is definitely an awwww moment!