Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pumpkin Pals

We're not exactly newbies when it comes to pumpkin patches. Liam made his debut among the gourds a couple years ago, and Sarah had her Pumpkin Princess inauguration last October. But this was the first time I took our crew of little people to the farm solo. And now they both walk - usually in opposite directions. And they both pick out pumpkins much larger than themselves...and then get too tired to carry either themselves or their pumpkins!
Anyways....
Our first stop at the farm was the gigantic tent full of hay. Piles and piles and piles of hay, all for the sole purpose of throwing it around and getting messy. The kids are familiar with both of these concepts. But for some reason the idea alluded them today and they stood around in the hay, not too sure what was expected of them. I had my camera at the ready, but the more I coaxed them to toss some hay around, the more they looked at me as if I was off my rocker. Case in point:



So I started tossing hay at them myself. Sarah got mad at me. Liam pretended he didn't know the crazy lady throwing feed at him.


Neither of them really got on board with the hay toss, but they did find an alternate use for their pumpkin carrying bags....fill 'er up!


They were okay with throwing bags of hay at each other. But hay that is not bagged? Uncivilized.


Next stop? Hay ride! I'm hoping for a little more enthusiasm here...think we'll get it from this guy?


Yes! The kids were diggin' the banjo tunes (Liam: "No, Mom. I'm pretty sure that's a guitar.") Sarah clapped her chubby little hands along with the music and made sure Liam and I kept up with the beat. I'm sure that guy has never had a cuter audience. :)
And then....the best part: Pumpkin Time!
We got off the hay ride and the kids immediately took off in opposite directions. Sarah picked up the first pumpkin she saw. She bagged it herself and was so proud of the find, smiling, pointing, high-fiving. But it wasn't long before she ditched it for another pumpkin that caught her eye. And then another. And another. She chose and tossed about 5 pumpkins (all increasing in size!) before she ultimately settled on a mini pumpkin much like the first.


Liam was a bit more particular in his pursuit. He considered shapes and sizes, colour, dirt, stem. Then he pretended the pumpkins were doggy poop that needed to go in the bag. (Gross.) And he even performed the all-telling Sit Test.


No pumpkin was left uninspected. He ultimately decided that he just wanted the biggest pumpkin, so that's what we got. I don't have a picture of it because by this time I was carrying Sarah, Sarah's pumpkin du minute, and now Liam's giant pick. Go Mama!
Back to the farm for a little entertainment....
(Liam: "Pumpkin WALKIN'! MOM! Pumpkin WALKIN'!")


A little snack....

And a visit with some silly sheep that couldn't quite figure out how to shake that stuff off...



And it was time to call this year's Pumpkin Patch Extravaganza done!

No comments: