Sunday, June 6, 2010

D Day

No, not that one. This is D as in...Dump. You're in for a good one. :)
It all started back in October, when Santa came on the scene. It was probably on a Wednesday (our garbage pick-up day) that I asked him what he'd like Santa to bring him, and he said rather definitively "A Garbage Truck! A big one!" And he didn't waiver one little bit. Santa delivered on the truck, and the casual interest in garbage has gradually escalated into obsession territory.
* Liam's alter-ego - Recycling Man - has recently taken to running around the house shouting "Reduce! Recycle!" Apparently re-using isn't as important.
Anyways....we knew we had to get this kid to the dump one way or another. Conveniently, the Vancouver landfill happened to be having its annual Open House this weekend! And the rain dried up! So.....off to the dump!
The kids (okay, just Liam) were so pumped about this all week long. You might not get that impression if you saw them as we headed out in the car this morning, but nonetheless.....


This was Liam's version of paradise:

Diggers, Bulldozers and Compactors just sitting there, asking to be climbed all over...



And a mega sandbox to play in too. So what if he didn't have a shovel...this kid will improvise!



Sarah came along for the ride....


...but truth be told, she was way more into the bubbles!




I kind of like bubbles myself, so couldn't help playing around with this one a bit. I think I like it, but then again, I'm partial...


At long last it was time to board a tour bus to have a look at the main attraction. Sarah is ready with provisions for the 20 minute return trip.



And there it is.....lovely, lovely garbage.


Let's leave it at that, and head back to party central for a little face painting...


Liam requested a dinosaur, but I think I'm getting more of a dragon vibe here. He didn't seem to mind (or notice)...



Before we left we were allowed to fill up a bag with compost, and Liam wasn't going to let us leave without doing just that!


Yep, there are plenty of these in compost:



Sarah, on the other hand, was more than ready to leave! I wonder what crazy activities we'll all do as a family to encourage her interests....



A few errands and a quick kiddie catnap in the car later, and we were ready for a picnic.

I just love this hair...


Sarah is smiling here because she knows what's coming next...




You've got to click on this one for full effect.....



Sarah's shoes fell off about 147 times today. Frankly, I'm surprised we made it home with both of them. She was pretty good at bringing them to us to put back on, and she thought the repetition was quite hilarious!


It didn't stop her socks from looking like this, however...



Back on the run. I do love how she still puts her arms up like a brand new walker when she gets a little momentum in her step.


Liam got to play monkey in a tree, and I got to play mother hen, cluck cluck clucking about how I don't like him 7' up in trees! How can a 2 year old possibly sit still in a tree for pictures (and changing of memory cards) when he can barely pause long enough to use the potty? Fortunately, my clucking was without justification. But I have to do it, Matt. I just have to. BOK!!!


At the end of the day - tired, happy kids (and parents). And a whole lot of photos for me!


1 comment:

nemrac said...

Awesome pictures and love the sunglasses! Who needs Disneyland when you can go to the dump?