Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Remembrance Day to Remember

A little evening ritual has been developing around here this past week. Each night after Sarah goes to bed Matt turns on the Christmas music, I make some hot chocolate and Liam dumps fistfuls of marshmallows into the mugs. We drink our hot chocolate in the living room which is part of the thrill for Liam who hears the words "only in the kitchen" every other time he is handed a drink. And Liam is determined to prove himself worthy of this honor. He sits across from us in his (towel covered) chair wearing only his big boy undies on the bottom.*** He takes very careful sips, politely asking for a spoon when the marshmallows get stuck. He sits so still, does a little singing, talks about his day and musters all the grown-up-ness a 2-year old can handle.
Then on Remembrance Day - our second puddle-laden day of potty training - Liam piped up during hot chocolate time that he needed to pee. We moved that party into the bathroom at lightning speed and....
.....success! High fives, cheering and extra marshmallows all around. But Liam was so charged up he wasn't going to stop there. What seemed like hours (and one banana) later....


.....POOP! In the potty! I know you're wondering if I took a picture of it. You bet your Pull-Ups I did. And Matt did warn me that I may be crossing a line, so for that reason I will spare you the visual here. But it was a huge moment for Liam, one that I am happy to report has been repeated very consistently for nearly a week now! This is one of those growing-up milestones that does not make me weepy...I'm already plotting my strategy to get Sarah on board with the program. Diapers, be gone!

*** A cute side-note: the first day we put Liam in underwear he proudly strutted into Sarah's room as she was waking from her morning nap. He climbed up on her crib and announced "I got undies, Sarah!"

1 comment:

Nitschke Family Fun said...

Love it!! Great story -- YEAH Liam and congrats to the hard work Mommy J